1 Parents Love It!
Valrico is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. The population was 35,545 at the 2010 census.HistoryValrico began as a region of cotton plantations known as Long Pond. It was renamed to Valrico, meaning "rich valley" in Spanish, in the 1880's when a philosophy professor from Tufts college, William G. Tousey, purchased property in the area. In 1890, an influx of new immigrants arrived following the construction of the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroads through the area.When the railroad was completed, Tousey began building up the community with retail stores, streets, and a bank. In 1895, a major freeze halted these developments, and the population began to dwindle. Nonetheless, the town continued to press on, with a schoolhouse being completed in 1896. The population continued to fall drastically, from 100 people in 1893 to only 50 in 1911.This setback did not deter local landowners from pushing forward with the town's development. Between 1910-1914 Judge Hamner, Governor Van Sant, D. Humbird, W.H., S.C. Phipps and W.F. Miller started an improvement project along Hopewell Rd, later designated SR 60. W.F. Miller, serving as president of the Valrico Improvement Association, raised $3500 to erect the Valrico Civic Center, now known as the James McCabe Theatre. The area's first general store was opened by Lovett Brandon in 1912.Valrico once again suffered a major blow during the stock market crash of 1929, which saw nearly every business in the town shut down. Not until the mid-1950's did the town begin to see growth again, primarily due to the connection of SR 60 to Tampa's Adamo Dr, placing Valrico right along a major Florida thoroughfare.