Chicago North Shore, IL
1 Parents Love It!
1401 Wagner Rd
Glenview , IL 60025
HOURS: Mon. - Thurs.: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Saturday: 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sunday: 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM
CALL: (847) 729-2235
In the winter of 1958 a number of Greek Orthodox Christians met to discuss their common need for a parish in Chicagoâ€™s northern suburbs. Within the first year worship services had begun at the Crow Island School in Winnetka.
On the 25th of March 1960, the new community was granted an ecclesiastical charter from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America. In 1962, Fr. Dennis Latto became our parishâ€™s first regularly assigned pastor.
One year later, groundbreaking ceremonies and blessing of the site took place with Bishop Meletios officiating. On November 15, 1964 the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the new church.
Rapid growth followed and prompted the construction of the Community Center adjacent to theÂ· Church. Fr. Latto fell asleep in the Lord on July 24, 1973 and when the Community Center was completed in 1974, it was dedicated to his memory.
Fr. George Scoulas came from the St. Nicholas Cathedral at Pittsburgh in 1974. The parish grew to over 800 families, and many new ministries were developed through Fr. Georgeâ€™s spiritual guidance. Fr. Scoulas fell asleep in the Lord on October 18, 2000. May his memory be eternal.
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul was consecrated on November 19, 1978 by Archbishop Iakovos.
Fr. Angelo Artemas succeeded Fr. Scoulas on June 1, 2001. Rev. Fr. James Dokos succeeded Fr. Artemas on June 1, 2012.