Main Line, Pa
3 Parents Love It!
143 Myrtle Avenue
Havertown , PA 19083
Henry Lewis, a Welsh Quaker, was one of the first three European settlers in Haverford Township. Arriving in 1682, he built his home on 500 acres and named it Maen Coch, meaning Red Stone, the name of his village in Wales. In 1700 Henry Lewis, Jr. built the first section of the mansion, which is presently the drawing room. In 1730 he added the library and stair hall. The property was sold in 1750 to Captain John WIlcos by Henry Lewis III. WIlcox added to the house; made changes in t he original structure to provide a large, more formal room for entertaining; and changed the name to Clinton Hall.
Charles Cruishank purchased the estate in 1761. His daughter, Clementina, married John Ross, a Philadelphia merchant in 1768. Mr Ross purchased the property in 1782. Mr. Ross died suddenly in 1800 and the land was sold in a number of transactions. In 1850, the Ashhursts purchased the estate and made architectural changes to the mansion, including the addoition of the porte cochere and wing. Today, we have the English Gothic residence and outbuildings as the were conceived in 1850-1863.
The mansion at The Grange may have been unoccupied from 1911 to 1913 after the death of Ashhursts' sons. In 1913, the 86.024 acre estate was purchased b Benjamin R. Hoffman of Philadelphia. Mr. Hoffman married Margaret Clawson in 1922 and shared his wife's horticultural interests. They added many new specimens to the gardens. Over the years Mr. Hoffman and his wife sold parcels of the estate leaving the current 9.917 acres. Some of these parcels of land became what are now known as Chatham Park and Chathtam Village.
In 1974 Haverford Township purchased the acreage from Margaret Hoffman's Estate.