Merrimack Valley, MA
2 Parents Love It!
103 Washington St
Reading , MA 01867
HOURS: Mon. - Sat.: 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sunday: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
CALL: 1 781 944 5056
The Parker Tavern, Reading's oldest remaining seventeenth century structure, is owned and operated by the Reading Antiquarian Society.
Built in the 17th century, the Parker Tavern was built by Abraham Bryant Jr. a local blacksmith. During the American Revolution Ephraim Parker, a shoemaker at the time, obtained a liquor license for the establishment and converted it into a tavern, hence the name Parker Tavern. Most importantly the residence became a imprisonment for a British Soldier, Archibald Campbell (Scottish General), in 1776.
The Tavern has housed many different families since its construction in 1694. It has seen at least 8 different hands including the Town of Reading and the Catholic Church in the early 19th century.
Today the Parker is used as a place to educate visitors on the history of Reading.
Included on the grounds, is the kitchen garden maintained by the Reading Garden Club and the vegetable Garden maintained by the Board Members of the Reading Antiquarian Society.
The Tavern is open Sunday for tours from 2 pm- 5pm May- October. During the year, there are many events including lectures and fairs.