Richmond South, VA
1 Parents Love It!
8800 W Huguenot Road
Richmond , VA
Lewis G. Larus Park is a 106.5-acre park, near the western edge of the City of Richmond's boundary with Chesterfield County.
The entrance is easy to miss. There's a sign for the park at the corner of Huguenot and Stony Point, but that's not where you enter. The entrance is on Huguenot Road, between Fire Station 25 and a gas station, the trailhead sits at the edge of a private road. The parking is limited.
Signs acknowledging the park were posted in 2006, but the park land has been city property since its purchase in 1978.
The park has several hiking trails crisscrossing the park and there are trails through the park. It is mixed deciduous hardwood and pine forest, with a rocky stream running through the middle of the park.
Despite the constant noise from nearby Chippenham Parkway, it is a peaceful space to walk, with its patches of ground cedar, blueberries, pawpaws, wild ginger, loblolly pines and chestnut oaks.
Larus Park was named for Lewis G. Larus. In 1915, he bought the plot of land that now includes Sabot at Stony Point School and the park. The school sits in the northwest corner of the park, above the Stony Point Fashion Park. Chippenham Parkway forms much of the park's eastern border. On the southeast and southwest are office parks and neighborhoods.