Waukesha-Lake Country, WI
1 Parents Love It!
200 W South St
Oconomowoc , WI 53066
The Oconomowoc Public Library is one of the oldest libraries in the state, progressing from a private association in 1870 to a public library in 1893. In 1918, the City of Oconomowoc took over operation of the library from the Oconomowoc Public Library Association.
From 1900 to 1987 the library was located at 212 N. Lake Road in a three building complex that was constructed during the 1850’s and 60’s. In 1950 Oconomowoc High School graduate Josephine Machus was appointed Library Director. Among Ms. Machus’ qualifications was the fact that she had earned a Master Degree in Library Science from UW Madison in 1944. Under Ms. Machus’ direction, the library started children’s story hours and the material collection continued to expand. In 1962, the Oconomowoc Public Library Board recognized the need for a new library building. In 1987, the library moved to the current building at 200 South Street. The library has grown from a modest collection of 200 books to over 100,000 pieces of material including books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, and e-books. In 1999 the library automated its operation and now provides access to its catalog and other services via the Internet.
During the first decade of the new millennium, Oconomowoc Public Library added new types of audio-visual material and program attendance grew. In addition, the Library Board formed a Fund Raising Committee to help keep up with the cost of a wide variety of library materials and other library needs. As the library passed its 20th anniversary in the new building, a variety of building needs were planned for and taken care of to keep the facility as welcoming and vital as it was when it opened in 1987. In 2012 new Polaris cataloging software was implemented. In 2013 the newly remodeled Teen Area opened to the public. These developments help Oconomowoc Public Library remain the vital place it is in the community.